Thursday, May 14, 2015

Questionable?? Asian fashion choices

I am Chinese, and this means, supposedly I should be able to shop for up to six or seven hours on stilettos that can probably kill a person due to how pointy it is. I need that level of tenacity. I need to train myself to wear heels for hours on end, since I'm failing miserably at it now, and I just choose to wear trainers all day every day.


And supposedly, as a Chinese person, I do not understand the concept of winter or snow or hail or rain since I will be wearing skirts and short shorts even when it's negative 20 degrees.




This also means I like outfits with bright colors - extremely bright colors, on things that shouldn't be brightly colored…like Uggs. So obviously the words 'monochrome chic' does not exist in China when everyone is trying to dress up as the brightest lightbulb in the room, or you know, a Christmas tree.

I also like my accessories extremely bright and pink too, that is, my MCM backpack.


All kidding aside, I am maybe allergic to color, as my wardrobe in the winter consists of black, and maybe muted creams or whites, but mostly black. In the summer, I dress more lightly colored, just to enjoy some of that summer spirit and not be a grumpy old hag all the time.

The thing is, I like color. I like color a lot, but it is extremely hard to wear color without blinding everyone that comes into your way or to wear color without looking like an overgrown fruitcake.

I would think that I need to eat some courage pills if I ever had to wear bright blue Uggs with a pink sweater and a pink MCM back and maybe that pink quilted Chanel bag.

That brings to me another point - brands. Why is it that as long as something is branded (YSL, or Gucci, or LV, or Chanel), then it is automatically stylish and fashionable? It's not. Also can I say that that big luxury logo on your leather bag? Tacky. Tacky as hell. Well…unless you can work it, in some way that's not mildly insulting to the rest of the public.

I never understood big logos on shirts, or bags, or anywhere, it just screams 'loud' and 'notice me', and I've always been a little bit more on the understated side.

Despite how much I dislike some fashion choices that people make, there are some people who can work everything I've said previously extremely well, wearing those Play: Comme des Garcons shirts and those BAPE hoodies that would put everything I've previously sad to shame. It's all on how someone styles something and what message they wish to convey through their clothes.

So, wear what you love, love what you wear, and if you like color, then wear the hell out of it. Be comfortable with the color you wear, even if you do look like a traffic light. I've told myself numerous times to branch out and dive into color, but it's all about the baby steps, you never know, maybe one day I'll step out looking like a fruit cake, and I'll love it.


  Yushi



Like us on FB @ yuandcee

No comments:

Post a Comment